Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Night Rider

Well, guess what? I can’t sleep. My wife has to work late again, and I am eating dinner flipping through channels, ok I just got finished watching an episode of Hannah Montana, but that is a story for another night. Well, still flipping channels and my mind is racing. Work, school, Navy, teaching, I can tell I am not going to sleep.

What did I used to do in those early 90’s when I was at the Art Institute? I am off the couch getting the gear on. I am ready to spin! It is kinda weird that “New Jack City” is on one of the channels I stopped at. Well, I am ready to hit the road. Dropping a quick note to my wife with a departure time and off I go.

The night is cool, well cool for Dallas in early August. The tunes pumping, mostly 80’s new wave and nerd rock. I am really feeling free and rather crazy. The single speed beater is really holding together, Every now and then I feel a little grind. I have rigged the rear wheel to where only a mechanic from a third world country would not be disgusted. I am sure it will hold out for a while.

I mashed down to the dart bus stop where I met a really cool dart worker. Luccious (guessing at the spelling), he was cleaning the area up and we chatted for a bit and I decided that I would hit the booming downtown of Carrollton. Being on a bike really makes you interact with more people. You have that real approachable aspect that you don’t have when you are in a car.

Still spinning around and getting a few really bad photos with my idiot box, I have a strike of inspiration. My new series of prints will be on people movers. Bikes and mass transit. After all we have all of this construction for the new DART rail system that is finally going through Carrollton. Why not document this event with a twist, my twist that is.

I guess that is what makes the bike so special to me. It is a connection that lets me escape my thoughts, after all those are what is holding me down. It is really hard to worry about things when you are breathing heavy and straining to see in the dark.

DOWNTOWN CARROLLTON

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very good blog! I'm impressed by you people.

You have got to be Vista users.